White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt is leaving the Trump administration at the end of August, and no successor has been named yet, according to an announcement from President Donald Trump on Wednesday.
Trump revealed the unexpected departure in a post on Truth Social, calling Leavitt “one of the most trusted aides” and “one of the best White House Press Secretaries in the History of the Office.” He said she is leaving to spend more time with her young children and family, a decision he said he “totally understands and respects.”
Leavitt will transition to a role as one of Trump’s top outside advisers and remain an influential voice within the Republican Party, Trump said, as the party gears up for the midterm elections.
In her own lengthy statement on X, Leavitt described her time in the role as “the honor and adventure of a lifetime,” expressing gratitude for the opportunity to work in the West Wing, meet foreign leaders, and speak on behalf of the president at the White House podium.
Leavitt, who became the youngest White House press secretary in history at age 27, took the post on Inauguration Day, January 20, 2025. She previously served as national press secretary for Trump’s 2024 campaign.
The press secretary has two young children, Nicholas and Viviana. She was on maternity leave from late April, giving birth to Viviana on May 1, and returned to the briefing room podium on July 16.
A Mother’s Choice
Leavitt acknowledged the challenge of balancing motherhood with one of the most demanding jobs in Washington. “Being a mother and welcoming a new baby while working in one of the most demanding jobs in the world has been the most rewarding yet challenging season of my life, to say the least,” she wrote.
She added that since returning to the White House after the birth of her daughter, she felt in her heart that she could not be the best mother to her two young children while devoting the constant time, energy, and attention required of the press secretary role. That realization, she said, led to her “bittersweet decision” to depart.
Leavitt said Trump has asked her to continue serving as a top outside adviser, and she vowed to remain “a vocal advocate for MAGA and the Republican Party.”
“My fight is entering a new phase, but it is far from over,” she wrote, framing the upcoming midterm elections as a battle against what she called “an increasingly extremist Democrat Party.”
She thanked Trump, First Lady Melania Trump, Chief of Staff Susie Wiles, and others in the administration for their support.
No Replacement Announced
As of Wednesday, no replacement had been named. During Leavitt’s maternity leave, the White House did not have aides brief the press; instead, top administration officials—including Vice President JD Vance, Secretary of State Marco Rubio, and Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent—took turns at the microphone.
Leavitt’s departure marks a significant shift in the administration’s communications team just months before the midterm elections, with Trump signaling she will remain close to his political operation from the outside.
Source: www.breitbart.com — https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2026/08/12/karoline-leavitt-leaving-white-house-no-replacement-named/
