The family of Jason Arday, the former Cambridge University professor who died last week at age 41, is pointing the finger at a sustained campaign of misinformation and harassment they say followed him for years.
In a statement first published by The Guardian, Arday’s family said he had been “subjected to a campaign of sustained abuse for more than three years since he accepted the role of professor at Cambridge University by those who would leave no stone unturned in their quest to undermine him.”
“The campaign of misinformation was too much for Jason, who was a gentle man and who always wanted to see the best in everyone,” the statement continued. “We are in shock to have lost this amazing father, partner, brother, uncle and son.”
The family also appealed to the press to stop what they called “the campaign of harassment which has been waged against Jason and his family for too long,” adding they would not comment further at this point.
A Sudden Death and a University Investigation
Arday was found unresponsive at his home in South London on Friday, according to local authorities. His death is being treated as “unexpected” but not “suspicious,” police said.

The loss comes just over a week after Arday left his position at Cambridge, where he had been the youngest Black professor to teach at the university. In the lead-up to his departure, he faced plagiarism accusations and questions about his life story ahead of the publication of his memoir, “Great and Unfortunate Things.”
Cambridge initially came to Arday’s defense, releasing a statement at the time describing him as “the victim of a vile campaign to undermine his credibility.” But in the days that followed, the university’s posture shifted.
Harassment Claim and New Investigation
Arday filed a harassment claim against a journalist who was investigating his work, according to the family’s account. Soon after, Cambridge launched its own investigation.
“The University of Cambridge has begun an investigation following new information about Professor Arday’s academic qualifications and honorary appointments,” the university said in a statement. “In order to ensure a fair process, we will not comment further until this has concluded.”
The exact nature of the new information has not been disclosed, and Cambridge has not responded to subsequent requests for comment regarding Arday’s death or the status of the investigation.

A Legacy Under Scrutiny
Arday’s career was marked by remarkable achievement. As the youngest Black professor in Cambridge’s history, he was celebrated as a trailblazer in sociology and education. His memoir was highly anticipated in academic circles.
But the allegations, which began circulating publicly before the book’s release, cast a shadow over his legacy. Critics accused him of plagiarizing portions of his academic work and inflating aspects of his biography. Supporters, including colleagues and students, defended him as a target of a coordinated attack rooted in resentment of his rapid rise.
The family’s statement makes clear they believe the attacks were not just professional but personal, describing a man who “always wanted to see the best in everyone” and who was ultimately overwhelmed by the relentless scrutiny.
“Jason was a gentle man,” they wrote, reiterating their shock and grief.
A Wider Conversation About Misinformation
Arday’s death has reignited discussions about the toll that public accusations and online campaigns can take on individuals, particularly those from underrepresented backgrounds who often face additional scrutiny.

Scholars and commentators have noted the irony that a university that once stood behind Arday later launched an investigation that may have contributed to the pressure he faced. Some have called on Cambridge to reconsider its handling of the case and to be more transparent about what prompted the investigation.
Others have pointed to the difficulty of separating legitimate journalistic inquiry from harassment, especially when accusations are serious but unproven at the time of publication.
The family’s plea for privacy is likely to go unanswered in part, as the story has drawn national attention. But their words serve as a stark reminder of the human cost behind headlines and hashtags.
“We won’t comment further,” they said. “Please leave us alone now.”
As the investigation into Arday’s credentials continues, and as tributes pour in from those who knew him, the question of what exactly drove him to this point remains. His family’s answer is unequivocal: a campaign of misinformation and harassment they say began the moment he took the Cambridge post and never stopped.
Local coroners will determine the official cause of death in the coming weeks. For now, those who loved him are left with grief—and a call to end the relentless pursuit that they believe cost him his life.
Source: www.dailywire.com — https://www.dailywire.com/news/family-of-ex-cambridge-professor-blames-campaign-of-misinformation-for-his-death
