Politics

Enes Kanter Recruits Male Players for WNBA Protest: ‘Rules Are Rules’

Former NBA player Enes Kanter is urging G League and other male hoops players to enter the 2027 WNBA Draft by identifying as women, claiming league rules allow it and vowing to force a decision on trans athlete policy.

Enes Kanter Recruits Male Players for WNBA Protest: 'Rules Are Rules'

Former NBA center Enes Kanter isn’t just threatening to enter the 2027 WNBA Draft himself—he’s now actively recruiting other male players to join him in what he casts as a protest against the league’s undefined policy on transgender athletes.

In a video posted to X on Tuesday, Kanter addressed NBA G League players directly, pointing to a stark pay gap between the men’s developmental league and the top tier of the WNBA.

“Now, listen to me very carefully,” Kanter said. “The NBA G League pays players $45,000 a year, while the WNBA top players earn $1.4 million.”

He then laid out his pitch: “Those men could earn an extra $1,355,000 a year by just identifying as women. Rules are rules.”

The former Knicks and Celtics big man, who has been a vocal critic of the WNBA’s handling of transgender participation, says he has already been in contact with a small circle of male professionals who are weighing the idea.

“So far, I’ve spoken with: 2 Former NBA players, 3 G-League players, 3 European players,” Kanter wrote. “They have all said that if the WNBA doesn’t change the rules, they’re ready to join the movement and are considering coming out as women and putting their names in the 2027 WNBA Draft.”

Kanter did not name any of the men he claims to have spoken with, and no player has independently confirmed that such conversations took place.

Pressure on the WNBA

Kanter has been open that his goal is not to actually play in the WNBA but to force the league to take a clear stand on whether transgender women—or, in this case, men who identify as women—are allowed to compete. His campaign has already nudged the league to hold internal discussions, according to sources familiar with the matter.

Last week, league executives met to debate the issue but reportedly failed to reach a definition of “woman” or determine whether a male athlete would be permitted to join a WNBA roster. No resolution was announced, and the league has offered no public timeline for a decision.

As long as the WNBA continues to avoid a firm ruling, Kanter’s public pressure campaign appears poised to continue.

Context and Reaction

The WNBA has long been seen as a leader in LGBTQ+ inclusion, and its policies on transgender athletes have been a point of contention in recent years as the league has grown in popularity and revenue. Some advocates have pushed for more inclusive participation, while critics—including Kanter—argue that allowing biological males to compete undermines fairness and the integrity of women’s sports.

Kanter, who was born in Switzerland and raised in Turkey, has become a prominent conservative voice on sports and politics since his NBA career ended. He has previously spoken out on issues ranging from international politics to what he describes as the erosion of women’s sports.

There is no indication that the WNBA is seriously considering a move to allow male players who identify as women, and the league has not commented on Kanter’s recruiting pitch directly.

But with the 2027 draft still over a year away, Kanter’s message is likely to keep the issue in the spotlight—and to keep pressure on the league to finally define its rules.

Source: www.breitbart.com — https://www.breitbart.com/sports/2026/08/19/enes-kanter-turns-wnba-trans-protest-into-recruiting-pitch-rules-are-rules/

The FedFront Brief

Politics from the front lines, straight to your inbox — free, every weekday.

Join the Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *