Politics

Prince Harry, Elton John Hit With $13 Million Legal Bill After Losing Privacy Case

A British court has ordered Prince Harry, Elton John, and five other public figures to pay an initial $13 million to the Daily Mail's publisher after their privacy lawsuit failed, with more costs likely to follow.

Prince Harry, Elton John Hit With $13 Million Legal Bill After Losing Privacy Case

LONDON (AP) — Prince Harry and six other high-profile claimants, including music legend Elton John, have been ordered to pay an initial ÂŁ9.5 million ($13 million) to the publisher of Britain’s Daily Mail newspaper after their invasion of privacy case collapsed in court.

In a written judgment delivered Friday, Justice Matthew Nicklin set the payment deadline for Aug. 28, describing the sum as being at the upper end of expectations for such cost awards. The ruling comes just weeks after the claimants lost a High Court trial in London last month, during which they had alleged widespread malpractice—including illegal phone hacking—by Associated Newspapers, the paper’s publisher.

The publisher, which had consistently denied all allegations, has said its legal costs for the 11-week trial exceeded ÂŁ34 million. While Friday’s order covers only the initial installment, the remaining balance will need to be reimbursed by the group at a later date. The claimants are reportedly insured for roughly half that total amount, leaving them personally exposed to significant additional financial liability.

A Failed Legal Battle

The case, which ended on July 7 when Justice Nicklin ruled that there was a shortage of evidence to support the claims, also involved anti-racism activist Doreen Lawrence, Elton John’s husband and film producer David Furnish, actresses Sadie Frost and Liz Hurley, and politician Simon Hughes. The judge said that the possibility existed that the reporting in question came from legitimate sources, undercutting the central premise of the claimants’ case.

The judgment marks a definitive end to a legal saga that had drawn intense media scrutiny for months. For Prince Harry, this defeat brings a close to a string of lawsuits he had filed against tabloid publishers, a campaign he has described as a personal mission to reform the British press.

In 2023, Harry won a landmark judgment against the publishers of the Daily Mirror, which was condemned for “widespread and habitual” phone hacking. Last year, Rupert Murdoch’s The Sun made an unprecedented apology for intruding on his life and agreed to pay substantial damages to settle a separate privacy lawsuit. Those victories stand in stark contrast to this week’s ruling in favor of the Daily Mail.

Royal Fallout and a Return to the UK

The financial penalty arrives just two days after it was publicly revealed that Harry and his wife, Meghan Markle, are planning to move back to the United Kingdom. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, who stepped back from royal duties and relocated to California more than six years ago, are set to return later this month to live in a nonroyal residence outside London.

Harry has previously said that his litigation—which broke with royal family tradition by taking disputes to court—was a primary driver of his estrangement from his father, King Charles III, and his brother, Prince William. His legal battles have been part of a broader effort to take on the tabloid press, which he has accused of damaging his relationships and leaving him “paranoid beyond belief.”

Now, with the court’s cost order hanging over him and the other claimants, the prince’s return to the UK will be shadowed by a hefty financial burden. The full extent of the costs is not yet known, as the publisher has indicated it will seek to recover the remainder of its ÂŁ34 million legal bill. Just how much of that will ultimately be paid by the claimants—and how much is covered by insurance—remains to be seen.

For Associated Newspapers, the ruling is a validation of its long-held position that the allegations were baseless. The company has maintained that its journalists acted lawfully and that the stories in question were based on legitimate sources. Friday’s judgment, in which the judge found insufficient evidence to support the claimants’ accusations, appears to bolster that defense.

Legal experts say the size of the initial payment—at the upper end of what was expected—reflects the complexity and length of the trial, as well as the high-profile nature of the parties involved. The case consumed weeks of court time and generated enormous publicity, with testimony from some of Britain’s most recognizable celebrities.

The other claimants have not yet commented publicly on the ruling, but the financial implications are significant. For Doreen Lawrence, who has spent decades campaigning for justice after her son Stephen was murdered in 1993, the failed case is a personal setback in her broader fight for accountability. For Elton John and David Furnish, the cost order adds another chapter to a legal dispute that they had pursued with vigor.

As the Aug. 28 deadline approaches, all eyes will be on whether the claimants can meet the payment or seek further legal avenues. For now, the Daily Mail publisher has emerged victorious, and Prince Harry’s long-running war with the tabloids has suffered a serious blow.

Source: www.breitbart.com — https://www.breitbart.com/entertainment/2026/08/21/prince-harry-elton-john-liz-hurley-more-ordered-to-pay-initial-13-million-to-daily-mail-publisher-after-losing-privacy-case/

The FedFront Brief

Politics from the front lines, straight to your inbox — free, every weekday.

Join the Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *