Politics

Judge Rejects Pirro’s Second Bid to Jail WWII Memorial Vandal Farris

A federal magistrate judge again denied U.S. Attorney Jeanine Pirro's request to detain Melissa Farris, the woman accused of defacing the World War II Memorial, citing a lack of new information.

Judge Rejects Pirro's Second Bid to Jail WWII Memorial Vandal Farris

A federal magistrate judge has again denied U.S. Attorney Jeanine Pirro’s request to jail Melissa Farris, the Kentucky woman accused of vandalizing the World War II Memorial in Washington, D.C., according to court records and a post from a reporter covering the proceedings.

Magistrate Judge Matthew Sharbaugh rejected the second detention motion filed by Pirro’s office on Monday, ruling that prosecutors failed to present any new information that would justify locking up Farris ahead of trial. The judge had previously released Farris on a personal-recognizance bond, allowing her to walk free despite the Justice Department’s argument that she posed a flight risk.

Second Attempt Falls Flat

Pirro’s office filed the renewed motion after Farris’s initial release, but Sharbaugh said the filing essentially rehashed arguments he had already considered and rejected. The judge’s decision was first flagged by Kyle Cheney, a reporter who posted on social media: “Magistrate judge denies US Attorney Pirro’s second bid to lock up Melissa Farris on charges of vandalism to the World War II memorial. Says the office botched the standard and recycled argument he already rejected.”

The ruling is a setback for Pirro, who has taken a hard line on the case since Farris’s arrest. In a statement announcing the charges, Pirro called the vandalism a “despicable attack on a sacred monument” and noted that her own father and grandfather served in World War II.

The Incident and Charges

Farris, 41, of Elizabethtown, Kentucky, is accused of spray-painting “Clean Hands Dirty $” across the Atlantic Pavilion of the World War II Memorial on August 13. Prosecutors say she also splattered additional paint at the site and poured a soapy substance into the fountain, causing bubbles to cascade over the memorial dedicated to the 16 million Americans who served in the war.

The incident prompted a brief lockdown of the memorial, with National Guard troops deployed to secure the area. Farris was arrested days later and faces two felony charges: Depredation Against Property of the United States and Destruction of Veterans’ Memorials. Each charge carries a potential penalty of up to ten years in prison, according to Pirro’s office.

Release Conditions

Despite the seriousness of the charges, Judge Sharbaugh initially released Farris on personal recognizance, meaning she did not have to post bail. The conditions of her release, as reported by WJLA, include staying out of Washington, D.C., except for court appearances, staying away from the World War II Memorial, surrendering any passport, and reporting to pretrial supervision.

Farris is scheduled to return to court on September 3. Her next hearing could address the pending charges or any further motions from prosecutors.

The case has drawn significant attention, with some conservative commentators urging authorities to make an example of Farris. A post from Nick Sortor on social media described the memorial as a “CRIME SCENE” and suggested the vandalism was politically motivated. However, court documents have not indicated a political motive, and prosecutors have focused on the damage to the memorial.

The magistrate’s ruling does not dismiss the charges against Farris; it only addresses her detention status. She remains free under supervision while the case proceeds.

Source: www.thegatewaypundit.com — https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2026/08/magistrate-judge-denies-pirros-second-attempt-lock-up/

The FedFront Brief

Politics from the front lines, straight to your inbox — free, every weekday.

Join the Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *