Culture

Harry and Meghan Reportedly Leaving California, Heading Back to UK

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are reportedly preparing to leave their Montecito mansion and return to the UK with their children, according to multiple media reports.

Harry and Meghan Reportedly Leaving California, Heading Back to UK

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are reportedly preparing to leave their life in California and return to the UK, according to multiple media reports published Thursday. The couple, who have been based in the United States since 2020, are said to be planning a move to a private residence outside London later this month.

The news was first reported by the Daily Telegraph and the Sun, which said the Duke and Duchess of Sussex intend to relocate with their two children, Prince Archie, seven, and Princess Lilibet, five. The children are reportedly enrolled to start at a British school when the new academic year begins in September.

King Charles Informed Only Recently

The BBC reported that King Charles was only told of the planned move on Sunday. Despite the relocation, there are no current plans for either Harry or Meghan to resume their roles as working royals, as the couple reportedly continues to seek a life out of the public eye.

No change is expected to their official status within the House of Windsor. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will remain private individuals while retaining their privileged titles, according to reports.

A Return After a Tumultuous Five Years

The Sussexes left the UK and stepped back from their royal duties in early 2020, settling in California in March of that year. They moved to the celebrity enclave of Montecito via Canada and quickly immersed themselves in the lifestyle of their wealthy neighbors.

During their time in the US, the couple pursued commercial ventures, including lucrative contracts with Netflix and Spotify, and Meghan launched her lifestyle brand, As Ever. These ventures were part of their aim to become financially independent while building a new life outside the monarchy.

Harry has spoken openly about his struggles with life in the public eye, describing feeling “trapped within this bubble” and the impact it had on his mental health. His ties to the UK in recent years have been brief and often fraught with difficulties.

Legal Troubles Loom

Most recently, Harry’s July visit to London was overshadowed by his High Court loss in a privacy case brought against Associated Newspapers, the publisher of the Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday. The royal and several other well-known figures had claimed the newspaper group used unlawful methods to obtain information for stories, allegations that were strenuously denied by the publisher.

The defeat means Harry is potentially facing a bill for millions of pounds after the court ruled he and other plaintiffs were liable for the publisher’s legal fees. According to documents filed by Associated Newspapers, the company’s legal costs amounted to £34.5 million ($47 million).

Harry has repeatedly complained about press intrusion, telling the court in January, “They’ve made my wife’s life an absolute misery.” He has also spoken about the challenges of spending time in the capital.

What Lies Ahead

Despite the move back to his birthplace, Harry is said to have no desire to return to royal duties, but he also shows no intention of relinquishing his title and its privileges. He remains fifth in the line of succession to his father, King Charles III.

The move marks a significant change for the family, who had previously indicated they were building a new life in the US. The reasons for the return have not been specified in the reports, but the couple’s ongoing legal battles and desire for privacy may have influenced their decision.

Archie and Lilibet’s enrollment in a British school suggests a long-term commitment to their new home. The couple are said to be keen to provide their children with a more traditional upbringing, away from the Hollywood spotlight.

Observers will be watching to see how the Sussexes manage their transition back to British life while maintaining their desire for privacy. The coming months are likely to be closely scrutinized as the family settles back into the UK.

Source: www.breitbart.com — https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2026/08/20/california-fleeing-prince-harry-and-meghan-markle-heading-back-to-uk/

The FedFront Brief

Politics from the front lines, straight to your inbox — free, every weekday.

Join the Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *